It is well known that that a large number of people do fear a visit to a dentist. I guess it is the thought of a sharp object or machine tool entering the mouth that is not very good for the imagination of a potential patient. Then there those who have had first-hand experiences and afraid to visit dentist because of their previous painful visit. The good thing is that the dental procedures are improving and at times general anaesthesia is also used where possible to reduce the pain.
The main issue that the fear of a dentist should now cloud your judgement or that of our child’s. Nothing could be worse than neglecting the dental requirements of your developing child.
What is a Pediatric Dentist?
The development of the teeth starts early in children and though they do not keep their baby teeth they may still require care or dental treatment. The dentists who are dedicated to the oral health of children from infants to teenagers are called pediatric dentists. These dentists are able to provide all the special care that is required for the child’s teeth, mouth and gums during the childhood.
Pediatric Dentists are also dentists who have undergone at least four years of dental school. In addition to which they need to have completed special residency training for infants, children, teens, etc.
Why choose a Pediatric dentist?
The baby teeth do not last forever but still need proper care and protection. This is important because the care taken during these developing stages of a child can prove invaluable for the overall development of the child. Here are a few more pointers on the important of a pediatric dentist:
The primary teeth of a child are a good guide how the permanent teeth are going to form.
The child will have the primary teeth for a better part of their childhood and hence proper care and maintenance is necessary.
The proper transition from primary teeth to permanent teeth is necessary since this is likely to go on up till the age of 12 to 13 years.
Types of treatment
Here is a short list of treatments provided by pediatric dentists:
- Oral Health examinations and a risk assessment for the child.
- Recommending diet changes and providing preventive dental care
- They can also provide counselling for bad habits like thumb sucking etc.
- They have the ability to provide an early assessment of any treatment that may be required.
- Provide care for dental injuries.
Understanding the importance of baby teeth
When it comes to children it is a good idea to have your facts right:
- The child’s teeth begin to appear at the age of 6 to 9 months.
- There is no cause for alarm if they start to appear earlier, like after three months
- Nor is there any cause for concern if they appear a bit late like after 12 months.
- The first teeth to appear are the molars, followed by the canines.
- The infant’s teeth and gums should be whipped after every feeding with a clean wet cloth.
- Start the child’s brushing routine only after the age of 2 by making use of a small toothbrush and using minimal amount of fluoridated toothpaste.
- It is a good idea to visit a pediatric dentist after your child is one year old.
Designer Smiles Dentistry
Designer Smiles Dentistry best dentist sugarland is all about building a good relationship with the patients and making a difference all the communities by perfecting the treatments. This is done by taking extra efforts to make process as painless as possible for the patients and help in removing the common fear of dentists in general.