In general while discussing about food we usually discuss which food are good for health and which are not. However we rarely ever discuss which food adversely affect our teeth in some way or the other. There are several teeth staining drinks by which our teeth are affected. Here is a brief list of items by which our teeth are usually affected:
- Black Coffee and black Tea are the dark beverages that can cause staining on teeth. This can be avoided by adding a little extra milk to the drink.
- Wine too is a culprit. In fact both red and white wine when had in excess will stain the teeth; they do this by etching tiny groves in the teeth which then stain.
- Popular colas and soft drinks are highly acidic and increase the risk of staining too.
- Although berries are good for the health in general they will stain your teeth if had in excess. This includes berries like blueberries, cranberries, raspberries and cherries too, to name a few.
- Sauces like Soy sauce and tomato sauce can also easily stain the teeth.
- Amongst the other foods that affect the teeth are Juices, Pickles, Vinegar, Candy sweets, beets, popsicles, etc.
On the other there are also several foods that are helpful and aid the tooth whitening as listed below:
- Apples, Pears, Guavas
- Cucumbers, Cauliflower
- Cheese, Sesame Seeds, Salmon
- Onion, Mushroom, Ginger, Carrots, Basil, etc.
- Even green vegetables like broccoli, spinach help to some extent since they contain an acid resistant filk.
Tips to avoid staining of the teeth
- Using the straw: A quick solution to avoid staining from drinks is to use a straw. Several drinks cause staining as mention above and using a straw solves this issue an make it easy for you to enjoy ad guilt free drink be it soda, dark tea or coffee.
- Teeth Stains cussing food: The food that are known to cause stains like berries and wine and the other already mentioned should be avoided or had in moderation. However if you do love your food and cannot stay away from these items make sure to rinse your mouth after eating. In fact it is a good idea to brush lightly 20 -30 minutes after eating.
Designer Smiles Dentistry
Designer Smiles Dentistry is all about building a good relationship with the patients and making a difference all the communities by perfecting the treatments. This is done by taking extra efforts to make process as painless as possible for the patients and help in removing the common fear of dentists in general. This is one place that is good for even the children. In general Designer Smiles Dentistry do treat children older than 5 years of age because we believe in caring for your teeth and the earlier you start the better.